Qawwali is a form of Sufi devotional music. This type of music is very much popular in Asia especially in Pakistan. Popularity of qawwli has been increasing with each passing day. Initially it was restricted to shrines and darghas but now people even sing qawaalis for the movies. There is a kind of addiction in qawalli. The beauty of qawwli cannot be explained but it is to feel. It is really difficult for me to choose best qawwali singers as everyone has sung qawawlis with full devotion and love. Still, there are the names which have gained international fame in this field.
Top Qawwali Singers:
- Ustaad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan: a very popular Pakistani singer was primarily a qawwali singer. His magical voice and unique style had made him the best ever qawwli singers of the world. The title given to him clearly depicts his position in the world of sufi music. His fans remember him by the name of shahn shah e qawwali. His wide vocal range and the capacity of performing for long hours with same devotion and love had made him the best qawwali singers of the world. Although he is not among us but his music will always keep him alive in the hearts of his fans.
- Rahat Fateh Ali Khan: nephew of Ustaad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan was primarily a qawwli singer. He gained popularity in a very little time. He has been reigning in the field of music not only in Pakistan but across the border too. His nasal voice and good looks are sufficient for winning his fans hearts. His voice echoes and he knows the art of controlling his voice. He is a real player of the music and has a natural knack of singing.
- Aziz Mian Qawal: Pakistani leading qawwali singer. He had given a new life to qawwli. His unique singing style has made him the best qawwli singer of the world. His fans still remember him and feel proud of listening to his qawwalis. He is known for the longest commercially released qawwali, Hashr Ke Roz Yeh Poochhunga, which runs slightly over 115 minutes. History of qawwli will never forget his name and he will always be remembered as a great hero and a wonderful ustaad.
- Abida Parveen: the greatest female Qawali Sindhi Pakistani singer. Her fans consider her a saint. She devoted her whole life for sufi music. She can sing for hours without a break. Her appearance, singing style and peculiarity of music all contributes to her popularity. She is one of her kind. Her fans belong to all parts of the world. She was selected as a judge for a musical show namely sur kshetra.
- Sher Mian Dad: a sher of Pakpattan had started his singing career only in the age of 10. He sung qawwlis and folk songs. He adapted qawwli as his family tradition. He also sang sufiana kalam in many shows and gained worldwide popularity.