It’s no secret that the only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you take in. In other words, the only way to lose weight is to eat less and exercise more. Sounds simple, right? Well, anybody who has ever tried to lose weight (and who hasn’t) knows it’s not as simple as it seems. Here are some simple tips on weight loss that really work. Start using these tricks right away and you will see a weight loss difference.
- Losing weight does not mean you never get to eat your favorite foods. You can eat what you want; you just need to plan ahead. Save high calorie treats for special occasions, or use high fat foods as condiments and side dishes rather than the main event.
- Track what you eat. Research has shown that journaling is one of the most effective weight loss tools. Keep it simple, tally what you ate and how much. You can add information about mood and activity if you wish.
- Add food rather than subtract. You don’t have to starve to lose weight. Think about where you can add vegetables into your meals for more fullness and satisfaction. Eat veggies at every meal, even breakfast.
- Mix it up a bit. Rather than the same tired bowl of cereal and milk, have half a chicken sandwich on whole-wheat toast or a filling veggie omelet for dinner.
- Celebrate each success. Chart your progress in a visible place and refer to it daily. Reward each pound lost by downloading a new song, or celebrate milestones with a massage. Give yourself something to look forward to.
- Limit white food. Rice, pasta, potatoes, sugar, and dairy all have a high amount of carbohydrates. These slow weight loss and can lead to cravings. Be creative with substitutes: chicken and some vegetables are great in lasagna. You won’t be able to tell the difference between mashed cauliflower and mashed potatoes.
- Find simple ways to get more active. Wear a pedometer and note how many steps you take. Adding 2-3 thousand steps a day is easy. Every bit you add to your activity helps you control weight, along with mood, insomnia and many other health concerns.
- Clear out your fat clothes. Donate to a friend or to those in need. Don’t hide behind baggy, saggy, oversize clothes. Get clothes that fit properly and don’t look back at your “fat” wardrobe.
- Organize the refrigerator and pantry. Make it simple to eat healthy, tasty food by stocking up on the good stuff. Prepare your vegetables and healthy treats ahead of time so they are easy to grab.
- Kick it up a notch! Adding hot sauce, chili powder or spices to foods increases the bold flavor and satisfaction, and may help to speed metabolism.
There are many simple tips on weight loss that really work. The most important tip is to plan ahead. Know what you will be eating, and plan for those little splurges. Simple steps can add up to a big weight loss, without feeling deprived.